Maranatha University College is a privately-owned institute for higher education, located in Accra North city in Ghana. The school was established in 1972 and has grown in leaps and bounds to attain a full accreditation by the National Accreditation Board of Ghana. Previously, the University had a direct affiliation to the Christian Evangelical religion.
The University’s mission is to be an institution of Excellence innovatively religiously incorporating tertiary education. The university also offers the student non-academic facilities, such as various administrative services. This ensures the student attains a holistic learning experience.
Due to its accreditation, Maranatha University now offers programs that lead to official awarding of nationally accepted Bachelor’s degree certifications.
Maranatha University has a strict policy on moral and ethical code of conduct, and any student to applies for admission is required to abide by the same. Smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages, drug abuse and immoral sexual relations are prohibited.
READ ALSO: KNUST distance learning masters programmes 2018-201
Students in the institution are tutored through two ways, one being tutoring by a teacher, and the other being private studies. In both cases, the student is expected to receive knowledge, and use the same knowledge to help themselves become better members of society.
There are various admission requirements and modes, as explained below:
Regular entry through the West African Examinations council Examinations Category
This category describes the requirements for students willing to join Maranatha University on attaining the required grades in various WAEC examinations.
1. Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE)
A student is required to have attained a minimum grade D in the three core units. These core units are English, Mathematics and Integrated Science, which can be substituted with Social Studies.
The student is also supposed to have the same grade in at least three elective subjects too.
2. West Africa Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE)
A student is required to have sat the WASSCE exams, and have achieved a grade C6 or higher in the three core subjects, which include English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Social Studies. He or she is also supposed to have achieved the same feat in three elective units.
3. General Certificate of Education Advanced level
A student will be required to have passed three of the subjects in their course, with a minimum of a grade D pass. The student will also be required to have passed with Credits in a minimum of five GCE Ordinary levels units such as English, Mathematics and a single science student for non-science students.
4. Advanced Business Certificate Examination (ABCE)
A student willing to join Maranatha university will need to have passed in a minimum of three subjects with at least one of these passes being a D grade or higher. The university also demands that the student has passed with a credit score in five subjects, which include English, Mathematics and Social studies in the GBCE.
The university also accepts students under the Mature entry arrangement, whose requirements differ from those of the normal entry. The requirements for this kind of entry are as below:
- The student must be of a minimum age of 25 years.
- The student must provide a legitimate proof of age which should have been in their possession for 5 years or more prior to the day of submission of the application.
- The student must provide a recommendation letter, which would act as an introductory letter from a previous employer. This act is a guarantee for good conduct.
- As a national requirement, a student wishing to enroll in an institution of higher education is required to pass an examination set by the institution itself. After undertaking the examinations, the results are taken through vetting by the University’s committee, which decides whether the student qualifies or otherwise. It is also a requirement for the applicant to have passed with at least a credit score in English and Mathematics.
In addition to these requirements, there are special requirements for various programs as explained below:
Four Year program applicants
These applicants are supposed to have at least six pass results in core subjects including English, Mathematics, Integrated sciences with an aggregate score of not less than 24. The university often gives preference for admission to those students who have passed in three elective subjects in the cases of Accounting and Secretarial option.
Three Year Program applicants
Applicants are required to have five GCE ‘o’ Level passes with a credit score in core subjects such as English, mathematics and a minimum of three social science subjects. The candidate must also have at least 3 passes in advanced levels, with a requirement that two of them not have a grade lower than a ‘D’.
One can also qualify for three-year programs if they hold a Diploma in Business Studies with not less than three credits.
Two Year Post-Higher National Diploma and other Professional Diploma programs
The applicant is supposed to have achieved at least a second lower class grade in an area related to the one they plan on pursuing.
Maranatha University College Ghana offers a number of courses under their Bachelor’s degree honors. These courses are as listed below with their specialization and course options below each:
- B. Sc. Administration
- Banking & Finance Option
- Accounting option
2. B. Sc. Administration with the general Management Option
3. B. Sc. Admin with the Human Resource Management Option
4. B. Sc. Admin with marketing Option
5. B. Sc. Admin with an Accounting option
6. B. Sc. Business Administration
7. B.A. (Theology /Ministry), Diploma in Theology
8. Diploma in Ministry with specialization in:
- Pastoral Ministry
- Missions and Evangelism
- Christian Education
- Education Administration
- Guidance and Counselling
9. Certificate in Ministry Studies with specialization in:
- Pastoral Ministry
- Missions & Evangelism
- Christian Education
- Education Administration
- Guidance and Counselling and Institutional Chaplaincy
Maranatha University College contacts
In case of any requests or inquiries, students can access the University through the contact information provided below:
- Name: Maranatha University College
- Address: SO/B425 College Drive, Sowutuom.
P.O. Box AN10320,
- Location: North Accra, Ghana
- Telephone: 0302-417 581/417 604
If you are looking to join an institution of higher learning, go through the courses offered above and choose the one that you wish. After choosing a unit, check if you qualify for the course, and then make your application.The university promises a smooth application process, with no hidden fees and charges.
Maranatha University College is one of the best religious educational centers in Ghana. Lecturing is done by professional and well-accredited lecturers passed to teach at the university level by all the relevant boards. A student willing to study in the institution is guaranteed quality education and holistic growth.
READ ALSO: Application letter as a teacher in Ghana