The University of Mines and Technology (UMaT) traces its history back to 1953 when it was commissioned as Tarkwa Technical Institute. The institute has grown in terms of infrastructure and admissions. To get admitted into the institution, you must meet the minimum requirements for UMaT courses and their cut off points.
UMaT provides higher education in petroleum, technology, mining, and other related disciplines. The courses provided are well crafted to ensure students learn class theory and field practical through extension activities. Here is what you need to know about the courses, requirements and cut off points.
The institution offers quality programs that produce world-class graduates. The overseeing authorities accredit the courses offered at UMaT. They include:
1. Faculty of Mineral Resources Technology
- BSc in Geomatic Engineering
- BSc in Geological Engineering
- BSc in Mining Engineering
- BSc in Minerals Engineering
- BSc in Petroleum Engineering
- BSc in Environmental and Safety Engineering
- Diploma in General Drilling
2. Faculty of Engineering
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering
- BSc in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- BSc in Mathematics
- BSc in Computer Science and Engineering
- BSc in Renewable Energy Engineering
3. Faculty of Integrated Management Science
- Certificate programmes
- Certificate Programme in English
- Certificate programme in French
- Certificate in Survey and Mapping
- Certificate in Water Resources
- Certificate in Geological Assistantship
- Certificate in Small Scale Mining and Quarrying
- Certificate in Minerals Technology
- Certificate in Environmental Studies
- Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
- Certificate in Small Scale Mine and Quarry Administration
- Certificate in Drone Operations and Applications
- Certificate in Surface and Underground Mining
- Certificate in Drilling Fluid Technology
- Certificate in Natural Gas Technology
- Certificate in Oil Well Cementing
UMaT courses and their cut off points for Ghanaian applicants
As a Ghanaian applicant, you should meet the following requirements:
1. Faculty of Mineral Resources
- Credits in English Language, Mathematics, Integrated Science/Core Science, Physics, Chemistry, and elective Mathematics.
- Geomatics Engineering applicants can substitute Chemistry for Geography.
2. Faculty of Engineering
- You need credits in English Language, Mathematics, Integrated Science/Core Science, physics.
- You also need credits in either Chemistry/Applied Electricity/Electronics for Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Renewable Energy Engineering.
- Mechanical Engineering students can substitute Chemistry with Technical Drawing or Metal Work.
3. Applicants with ordinary or advanced level certificates
- GCE Ordinary Level Certificate or its equivalence is required.
- You need credits in 5 subjects, that is English, Mathematics, Chemistry, and physics.
- GCE Advanced Level certificate holders need passes in Mathematics, Chemistry, and Physics.
4. Diploma in General Drilling
- SSCE holders need six passes (A to D) in English Language, Physics, Elective Mathematics, integrated Science, and Chemistry/Metal Work/Technical Drawing/Applied Electricity/Applied Electronics.
- WASSCE holders need a pass in English Language, Integrated Science, and Mathematics. They must also have a minimum of C6 in Elective Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry/Metal Work.
- GCE holders need Ordinary Level credits in Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, English Language and Advanced Level passes in Physics, Chemistry, as well as Mathematics.
- You can also have a GCE Ordinary Level Certificate with credits or SSCE with passes in five disciplines including Mathematics and English Language plus experience in any relevant field.
- Students with a City and Guilds of London Institute Part III Certificate or its equivalent in Automobile, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering also qualify.
- If you have a certificate in General Drilling, then it must be from a recognized institution.
5. Certificate programs
- For SSS, you need five passes (A -E) in all subjects.
- If you have a WASS certificate, then five passes (AD7) in all subjects, including integrated science, Mathematics, and English language, are needed.
- If you have an Ordinary or Advanced Level Certificate, you must have five passes in all subjects of GCE O-Level including Mathematics, Science, and English Language.
6. Mature applicants
- You must be at least 25 years' old.
- You should have an SSS or GCE O-Level certificate.
- Credits in five subjects including Mathematics, English Language, relevant Science subjects plus experience in a related field.
- You must pass the entrance examination
- An interview might be held
- A birth certificate which is at least five years old after the date of issue is required.
7. Fee-paying applicants
- You must have an aggregate of 36 points, but you cannot meet the competitive cut-off points.
- Make sure you select “Fee-Paying" in your application.
UMaT requirements for international students
As an international scholar, you should meet the requirements below before applying for any course:
- Credits in English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, and an additional 2 relevant subjects.
- You must be from an accredited or recognized institution.
- Francophone applicants must have an International Baccalaureate in Science plus a certificate of proficiency in English.
- GCE/IGCSE O-Level and A-Level applicants need five credits in O-Level for Mathematics, English Language, and any other three relevant subjects. A-Level credits in Physics Mathematics and Chemistry are also required.
If you have any further inquiries about the above requirements, and cut off points, use the following details to reach out to the university:
- Physical location: Tarkwa, Western Region of Ghana
- Postal address: P.O. Box 237, Tarkwa. W/R
- Phone 1: +233 3123 20324
- Phone 2: +233 3123 20280
- Email 1: email@example.com
- Email 2: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: umat.edu.gh
The University of Mines and Technology is one of the best institutions to undertake any mining, petroleum, or technology course. If you meet the stated requirements for various UMaT courses and their cut off points, you can go ahead and apply for the current intake.
Yen.com.gh shared on 9th September a step-by-step guide on how to use the UG MIS Web student portal. The portal contains exclusive academic databases that are readily accessible for both prospective and continuing learners.
Through the portal, new and continuing learners can now inquire, register, pay fees, and access all vital information concerning their academics. UG scholars can now achieve their academic goals in the comfort of their homes.